Reveal all or limit?
A website needs to show and explain the products or services you provide in order to sell. The question and challenge is how much can or have you to explain?
If you explain too much and too much in detail:
– Becoming too technical most people will not understand at all
– It might get too complicated and scare off possible customers
– No inquiries or contacts as all is revealed
– Too long and time consuming to understand making people leave the website
In case you only give a short introduction:
– People might not understand the benefit or differentiators
– People might not have the impression of being industry leading
– Too much mystery will not engage visitors
Hence you need to publish just enough information to have your products or services explained in order to trigger the attention and interest. Still keeping in mind that the main goal is:
– To attract visitors to your website that are looking for a solution to their problems or issues.
– To trigger their interest in order to engage
– To tease them in order to stay on their mind
Compare it to a striptease: just show enough but not too much as else the totally is revealed and the interest will decrease.
Competitors advantage taking
By revealing too much about products or services your information will be used by:
– Your competitors for their advantage as they have more insight than you do about their solutions.
– Your potential customers will use it while meeting with your competitors.
If your solutions require to reveal more information in detail then you should consider to have this additional or more technical information to be available by a download for which visitors need to register. Just make sure they don’t register with a common web email address (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, …) or add a visiting company revealing web service so that you at least know what company is interested.
How much information does your website reveal ?