In any company, besides the supporting staff functions, several departments exist that all support their part to the business:
For production companies:
R&D, engineering, design, industrialization, purchasing, production, marketing, sales, customer service and support.
For trading companies:
Purchase, import, export, marketing, sales.
For service companies:
Service, marketing, sales and customer service.
The 5 functions
In whatever market or industry and in any business, where it all comes down to is:
1) Getting leads
2) Closing sales
3) Delivering on time
4) Getting the customer to pay on time
5) Nurturing for customer retention
This sales cycle needs to keep on going like the perpetual mobile.
In this view R&D, Production, Service, Support, Accounting and Human Resources are all supporting functions for getting marketing and sales going in order to make money.
The most important department in a corporation according to Jonathan Narducci (Narducci Enterprises): It’s the one that keeps customers from buying from you.
Just like Moises (Sourcing Theory) remarks that the most important business function in your company is sales.
The importance of Marketing and Sales
Any company needs to have:
- Sales dept or Salesman: to answer the questions of interested parties and to give a quote.
- An implemented sales strategy: having a price list helps.
- Effective marketing: if you don’t make your company or solution heard, nobody will buy.
In smaller companies sales and marketing are one dept or one person, whereas in larger companies they are separated.
- The nature or origin of a company is: R&D, engineering, trade, import/export
- A company produces or supplies to the market: production, servicing, consulting
At least there needs to be sales and marketing to keep the business going.
Perhaps you should get an online sales and marketing assistant for your business to obtain more leads and close more deals.
What is the perceived level of importance of sales and marketing in your company?