Questioning Social Media Marketing for small businesses
All marketing guru’s will tell businesses to use Social Media Marketing for driving leads and customer to their website/shop or engage potential customers.
However in case of a small business the use of Social Media for marketing purposes is less evident as for midsized and larger companies as:
- Their target market is localized geographically – no global or continent wide
- Their messages won’t be headline news
- Their frequency of posting messages will be rather low
Chances are small that small businesses will get followers – if any followers – on social media.
Social media presence
On the other hand these small businesses should have Social Media presence for:
- SEO reasons – it will help search findability and SERP
- Presence: an occasional message from a customer
Not having presence on Social Media is a fail as every message missed to get posted is a lost free opportunity to expose the company brand.
Social Media Marketing: investment of time and money
Small businesses should have social media presence, but should limit the amount of money and time spend on it. As all the social media services are free (except MySpace), getting an account or setting up a page (Facebook) is already a major step in the right direction. Additionally these accounts and pages should be referenced on the company website.
Starting a blog becomes quickly a burden as it requires posting on a regular basis (at least once a week) consuming time and effort. Thus a blog becomes an investment in time and requires creativity.
Also when having Social Media presence make sure you verify and question each content you publish as certain content could be interpreted differently. E.g. your expensive employee event pictures might give the wrong impression with customers.
The ROI of social Media Marketing is questionable and difficult (if not impossible) to measure.
Not participating in social media is turning down free marketing:
- Your messages brings exposure
- Every time someone tries to reach out to you on social media platforms
- Increase of findability in searches as social media shows up high in search
Social Media content ?
What to post on Social Media easily without spending much time or money:
- Your new products
- Your promotions
- Your season discounts or special deals
- The press releases of the products you represent
- The links to articles related to your industry
- The link to analyst industry reports – even if it is only an introduction/teaser to the report
- Your new content: every piece of new content should get linked in a message on Social Media
- Youtube, Vimeo or Dailymotion video – creating a video can be on the cheap
Just don’t put anyone (interns, junior staffers) in charge of the Social Media is it exposes the company with a wider reach than any of your previous marketing.
Hope for traffic, engagement and forwarding: exposure
Just hope for people:
- Visiting your website thanks to social media
- Engaging into a conversation
- Forwarding your messages
For exposure on the Internet to the world
Not having Social Media presence will lead to missing opportunities.
Thus in the long run those small companies without Social Media presence will fall behind for various reasons.
Is your company present on Social Media ?