During economic growth and when business is booming any salesman can find leads and customers.
What segregates real salesmen from the rest is that they will:
1. Find customers even during a recession
2. Survive when the market or business is contracting
3. Up-sell and cross-sell at any occasion
4. Be able to sell themselves to get a new job
5. Refrain selling to a customer when there is no real demand in order not to hurt future sales
6. Avoid unnecessary risks and not sell
7. Want to remain a salesman instead of becoming Sales Manager
8. Prefer a high commission/low fix over a high fix income/low commission
9. Ask the customer for paying the outstanding invoices instead of passing this task on to accounting
10. Serve the customer instead of selling to the customer
11. Not require any help from the sales manager
12. Learn from their failures leading to change their approaches
While anybody can pretend be a salesman during economic growth and in a booming company, but the real salesmen are of a different kind.
Are you a real salesman ?