Previously when a potential B2B customer engaged with an advertisement the time span of AIDA (Attention – Interest – Desire – Action) could take hours, days or even longer.
The AIDA has been extended to AIDEA which includes Evidence/Conviction as people are cynical about advertising / marketing that coherent evidence is needed before people are going to act.
Nowadays as people search on the Internet for solutions AIDA can be shortened to just a few seconds:
- The Attention is finding an interesting link by searching
- The Interest is generated by reading the information in the search result and the first impression of the landing page.
- The Desire can be generated or completely evaporate within a few seconds if the presented information is relevant or not.
- The Evidence / Conviction: if no references or no convincing information then they will be too skeptical to proceed.
- The Action can be very quick:
- Backspace in the web browser and leave the website
- Investigate more on the website
If the potential customer hits the backspace the total AIDA has failed within 5 seconds.
Else you have achieved just Awareness instead of Attention in the AIDA or AIDEA process. The sales cycle has even not yet started as your sales people have no idea of the possible customer. hence you will need a web service helping your sales team that reveals the companies visiting, their interest in a specific product and their level of interest (not hitting the Backspace early)
How efficient is your website in AIDA ?